... my journey from ballerina to triathlete

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

All Fun and Games Until Someone Breaks a Foot

It is a week after completing my first triathlon, and I am immobile.

Hawaii got the best of me and I had a mishap resulting in me dragging myself back to my car, somehow driving (stick shift) back home, and gimping into the house before collapsing on the floor in pain. I like to think of myself as fairly strong and able to deal with pain, but this one was tough. Intense, steady pain all over my foot and ankle so bad I had cold sweats and nausea. Lying on the ground I was once again glad for my recent training, because the same "I have no choice but to accept and get through this" mentality that got me through the toughest hills on the bike was what helped me stay calm despite the pain.

Three days later, my foot looks like a balloon: a watercolor blue and purple balloon. After hopping around on one foot all weekend, I finally went to the doctor today. I have to mention how amazing the Hawi Hospital is -- I have never had such kind and thoughtful care by all the staff.

But here's where things get complicated: the x-ray tech told be decisively that I had a fracture on the distal 4th metatarsal. The doctor told me that there was no fracture. The radiologist told me that there were "probable fractures on the 3rd and 4th metatarsals." Which of these is correct, I don't know, and so until the discrepancy is resolved I am cruising on crutches with my foot immobilized in a splint. To solve the diagnosis problem, I have been referred to Dr. Hiller at North Hawaii Hospital, who happens to be the chief medical officer for the Ironman Triathlon. Something tells me I can trust his opinion.

No matter what, this is a frustrating set back. If it isn't broken, it will probably take a week or two out if my training. If it is, I will not be allowed to put weight on it for six weeks. I am trying to stay positive and keep my frustration at bay. Life is full of surprises.





No comments:

Post a Comment