... my journey from ballerina to triathlete

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Official New Training Schedule

Well, after doing some research and taking the ideas of base training and my previously chosen Olympic tri training schedule into account, I put together a schedule to get myself back up to par. Since I am essentially starting back from scratch fitness-wise, I am following the base training recommendation to increase exercise time by no more than 10-20% per week in order to facilitate angiogenesis, the development of capillaries in the lungs. This allows the body to increase it's oxygen efficiency and create a "base" for further training. Here is my masterpiece, after much deliberation and careful scheduling (it's harder to train when you're working full time!):


Since I have only been cleared to bike and walk (ortho shoe included), I will be starting slow. The swims noted will still be arms-only, at least until July. The bike rides will be leisurely and on as level of ground as I can find around here. The walks, at least for the first few weeks, will be more like "gimps." I hope to be able to jog a little by mid July.

I'm also adding in some strength training -- just the basics, some arms, abs, and leg/booty workouts. I would like to make sure that I'm supplementing my training with weightlifting and strengthening. This should (in theory) help me avoid injury in my semi-pathetic, weakened state. 

I have eight weeks until the Olympic tri training schedule starts, and slowly but surely I will be working my way back into the habit of daily workouts. I am nervous. I could posture and pretend that I am nothing but excited, but starting over is scary. I remember the feelings of abundant energy and endless strength that I felt when I was training before, but it has been lost in way too much couch time during this injury. I want it back so badly it hurts, but the little voice of self-doubt forces me to question whether or not I'll ever get there. I know that it will take a lot of hard work to rebuild the habits that just two short months ago were second nature. 

On the other hand, I have never been so excited to put on some spandex and dri-fit! Picking out daily workout clothes is sounding pretty damn good! I've been gazing longingly at the sad-looking, unused stacks of tri shorts, sports bras, and running shirts in my closet. Putting them on again is going to be awesome! I don't care if all I can do tomorrow is wobble a mile on my bike and limp at a snail's pace -- I will be wearing $100 tri shorts and a sponsored dri-fit shirt!

Let the rehab begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment